Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo
The rides in Tibidabo Amusement Park become a source of knowledge for students, who learn technology, physics and environment concepts through them while having fun.
Applications for the 2021/2022 school year
The registration period for the Educational Activities for the 2021/2022 school year starts on Friday 10th September and ends on Friday 17th September. You can register by clicking on the following link.
The schools who had a reservation for the 2020/2021 school year, and that could not carry the activity out due to the first closure of the Park, must also fill in the registration form, and thus confirm their interest in carrying out the Educational Activities of the new school year, indicating the preferred dates to do them.
The sessions will take place:
- From 5th of October to 16th of December 2021
- From 15th of March to 2nd of June 2022
The schedule for the Educational Activities will be from 10.00 h to 13.30 h.
Except on 26th of October, 30th of November, 29th of March, 26th of April and 31st of May.
Fares (course 2021-2022)
The price includes the ascent and descent to the Park with the Cuca de Llum, the new Tibidabo Funicular, which will open exclusively for school groups.
*Minimum 15 students.
What Do They Involve?
Through the educational activity Ciència, tecnologia i medi ambient a l’entorn del Tibidabo [Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo], school groups get the chance to study the least student-friendly concepts of science, technology and the environment with the help of a study pack produced by the park itself,which combines theory with practice actually on the rides.
During the morning, with the help of the instructors, the students answer the questions in the pack that are related to their curriculum and are suitable for their level.
When they have finished, they go on the ride to check the resulting calculations and the physical and environmental effects of it, previously explained and discussed with the instructor.
Who is it aimed at?
The educational activities are aimed at all educational centers of Catalonia, since the exercises carried out by the students during the activity are designed according to the Catalan educational system and adapted to the appropriate level.
- First cycle, primary education
- Middle cycle, primary education
- Upper cycle, primary education
- ESO [Compulsory Secondary Education] (Years 1 to 4)
- Baccalaureate (Sciences and Technology, Art, and Social Sciences and Humanities branches)
Competencies worked on
The Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo educational activities work on the following competencies:
- Language competence
- Mathematical competence
- Learning competence
- Knowledge and interaction competence in the physical and environmental world
- Social and civic competence
- Self-sufficiency and personal initiative competence
The main educational objectives are:
- To learn a variety of concepts in physics, technology and the environment.
- To understand the energy transformations that occur in people’s immediate environment by means of recreational devices such as theme park rides.
- To encourage sociability in students with and without SEN in a participatory, monitored group activity.
- To raise awareness that a theme park has added value aside from its entertainment purpose and can serve as an educational facility.
- To spark students’ interest in science, technology and the environment to enable them to develop their abilities in a scientific and technology-filled world.
- To learn to collect data in a real, non-academic environment.
- To have fun while learning.
- The concept of energy and the energy transformations that occur on theme park rides.
- Collisions between bodies and mechanical elements.
- Electricity transmission through conductors made of different materials.
- The concepts of speed, acceleration and type of movement: accelerated, delayed and constant movement, etc.
- Structures and their resistance, loads in mechanical elements: traction, compression, torsion, shearing and bending.
- The various mechanisms used to transmit loads: crankshaft and connecting rod, pinion and chain, levers, gears, chains, axles, etc.
- Mathematical calculations at the curricular level: first degree equations and formulas for physics concepts.
- The effects of acceleration and speed on the human body due to changes in the position of the ride.
- The concepts of the machine and performance as tools for progress in a technified environment.
- Data collection in an open environment.
- The concept of sustainability and minimal pollution.
How is the activity conducted?
- This season, for safety reasons and so that the activity is carried out in the most comfortable way for everyone, the students are organized in bubble groups, already established in the school.
- The groups will be between 20 and 30 students from the same bubble group.
- In the Park there will be a maximum of 4 bubble groups a day and at no time will students from other groups mix.
- Each group is monitored by a Park employee with a background in science, technology or the environment.
- The activity consists of a circuit of five rides with a variety of mechanisms and movements. Throughout the circuit, students fill in a knowledge pack at a level adapted to their school year, designed to enable them to reach conclusions independently, and where they will make calculations and work on concepts learned at school and over the course of the day.
- Every group will do a single circuit, and they will all study the same rides. Each group will start on a different ride so they can work comfortably and to prevent more than 1 bubble group from being in the same place at the same time.
- The average duration of each ride is half an hour including the study part, the experiment and data collection.
- Each student will take away his or her own file in order to continue working in the classroom with the concepts learned.
Can we consult the dossiers before doing the activity?
Yes. You can download the dossiers of the Educational Activities of Tibidabo here.