Cuca de Llum
The Cuca de Llum is here!
Discover the new funicular railway for Tibidabo
The Cuca de Llum has an innovative and advanced design to free up more space on board and increase its capacity to 252 passengers per journey. The new vehicles are faster, cutting the journey time to 3 minutes, and offer users a better experience and entertainment. The new design also enables passengers to enjoy a panoramic view of the whole journey, with large windows and new educational content through screens and tablets located on board.
The interior of the funicular is freed up to increase the available surface area and transformed into an open-plan space to ensure the best possible visual permeability inside. Both the interior and exterior lighting is also improved, with exterior lighting taking on more importance and following a more modern and futuristic line, with an enhanced effect when it gets dark.
The Cuca de Llum, a new educational leisure experience
The Cuca de Llum is the Tibidabo’s main attraction, offering visitors their first contact with the mountain’s biodiversity. The large windows offer a chance to enjoy the landscape and discover the natural environment, with its flora and fauna.
The Cuca de Llum feature interactive videos and tablets offering new educational content about the mountain and the funicular railway.
What are the new vehicles like? Cuca de Llum in detail
- Height above sea-level at the lower station: 221.6 m
- Height above sea-level at the upper station: 500.2 m
- Length: 1,090.6 m
- Elevation: 272.1 m
- Length according to gradient: 1,124.2 m
- Average gradient: 25%
- Track width: 1,400 mm
- Type of cable: Warrington Seale compact
- Diameter of traction cable: 40 mm
- Power rating of main motor: 806 kW
- Diameter of drive sheave: 3,200 mm
- Power rating of auxiliary motor: 140 kW
- Operating speed with main motor: 10 m/s
- Operating speed with auxiliary motor: 1.2 m/s
- Vehicle weight when empty: 30 tonnes
- Total number of vehicles: 2
- Maximum capacity: 252 people
How the new Tibidabo Funicular Railway is?
How the new vehicles are? Discover how work has progressed!
Work on the funicular railway began with the removal of the old carriages, so the tracks and the overhead cables could be dismantled and the route prepared for the new carriages.
Various existing infrastructures along the route have also been affected by the work, including the bridge over the tracks and the two stations, which will be adapted to the Cuca de Llum's characteristics.
Placement on the track of the first Cuca de Llum car
The removal of the vehicles from the old Funicular
Full video of the construction
Find all the news relating to the Cuca de Llum.
- Ja hi ha data perquè el funicular Cuca de Llum escali el Tibidabo. Timeout
- La Cuca de Llum començarà a pujar al Tibidabo la primera quinzena de juny. Betevé
- El primer vagó de la Cuca de Llum, el nou funicular del Tibidabo, ja és al seu raïl. El Periódico.
- La Cuca de Llum del Tibidabo ja té el primer vehicle. Betevé
- Arriba al Tibidabo la Cuca de Llum, el nou funicular del Parc d'atraccions. El Jardí.
- La Cuca de Llum, el nou i futurista funicular del Tibidabo. 324.
- La Cuca de Llum substituirà l’actual funicular per accedir al Tibidabo. El País.
- Així es construeix el nou funicular del Tibidabo. Betevé.
- El funicular del Tibidabo: transformació total el 2020. Diari Ara.
- El Tibidabo estrenarà un nou funicular l’any vinent. El Punt Avui.