Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo
The rides in Tibidabo Amusement Park become a source of knowledge for students, who learn technology, physics and environment concepts through them while having fun.
Applications for the 2019-2020 school year
The call for the educational activities for the 2019-2020 is from 5 to 21 September.
For more information you can contact us by this contact form.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1 October to 20 December 2019 and from 2 March to 29 May 2020, from 10 am until 1.30 pm.
Fares (course 2019-2020)
What Do They Involve?
Through the educational activity Ciència, tecnologia i medi ambient a l’entorn del Tibidabo [Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo], school groups get the chance to study the least student-friendly concepts of science, technology and the environment with the help of a study pack produced by the park itself,which combines theory with practice actually on the rides.
During the morning, with the help of the instructors, the students answer the questions in the pack that are related to their curriculum and are suitable for their level.
When they have finished, they go on the ride to check the resulting calculations and the physical and environmental effects of it, previously explained and discussed with the instructor.
Who is it aimed at?
The educational activities are aimed at all school years and are adapted to the appropriate level.
- First cycle, primary education
- Middle cycle, primary education
- Upper cycle, primary education
- ESO [Compulsory Secondary Education] (Years 1 to 4)
- Baccalaureate (Sciences and Technology, Art, and Social Sciences and Humanities branches)
Competencies worked on
The Science, Technology and the Environment in Tibidabo educational activities work on the following competencies:
- Language competence
- Mathematical competence
- Learning competence
- Knowledge and interaction competence in the physical and environmental world
- Social and civic competence
- Self-sufficiency and personal initiative competence
The main educational objectives are:
- To learn a variety of concepts in physics, technology and the environment.
- To understand the energy transformations that occur in people’s immediate environment by means of recreational devices such as theme park rides.
- To encourage sociability in students with and without SEN in a participatory, monitored group activity.
- To raise awareness that a theme park has added value aside from its entertainment purpose and can serve as an educational facility.
- To spark students’ interest in science, technology and the environment to enable them to develop their abilities in a scientific and technology-filled world.
- To learn to collect data in a real, non-academic environment.
- To have fun while learning.
- The concept of energy and the energy transformations that occur on theme park rides.
- Collisions between bodies and mechanical elements.
- Electricity transmission through conductors made of different materials.
- The concepts of speed, acceleration and type of movement: accelerated, delayed and constant movement, etc.
- Structures and their resistance, loads in mechanical elements: traction, compression, torsion, shearing and bending.
- The various mechanisms used to transmit loads: crankshaft and connecting rod, pinion and chain, levers, gears, chains, axles, etc.
- Mathematical calculations at the curricular level: first degree equations and formulas for physics concepts.
- The effects of acceleration and speed on the human body due to changes in the position of the ride.
- The concepts of the machine and performance as tools for progress in a technified environment.
- Data collection in an open environment.
- The concept of sustainability and minimal pollution.
How is the activity conducted?
- Students are placed in groups of up to 25.
- Each group is monitored by a Park employee with a background in science, technology or the environment.
- The activity consists of a circuit of five rides with a variety of mechanisms and movements. Throughout the circuit, students fill in a knowledge pack at a level adapted to their school year, designed to enable them to reach conclusions independently, and where they will make calculations and work on concepts learned at school and over the course of the day.
- Every group will do a single circuit, and they will all study the same rides. Each group will start on a different ride so they can work comfortably and to prevent more than 25 students from being in the same place at the same time.
- The average duration of each ride is half an hour including the study part, the experiment and data collection.
- Each student will take away his or her own file in order to continue working in the classroom with the concepts learned.
Convocatòria curs 2020-2021
El període d'inscripcions per participar en les activitats didàctiques del curs 2020-2021 s'obrirà el mes de setembre 2020.