The Park renaissance
In the post-war years the Park was headed up by the Andreu family under the corporate name of "S.A. El Tibidabo". The main aim was to extend the area of the Park, landscape the gardens and set up new rides. During this period the Gran CafĂ© Restaurant Tibidabo was restored, and the Hotel Coll became known as "La Masia". In 1947 the summer festivals were celebrated with great success in the old Barcelona and in 1948 the cypress tree maze was opened; the first new feature after the Civil War.
The Park's golden age
In 1951 the Children's Theatre was opened. Although it only had a short life, it was considered one of the best in Europe. Nowadays the Museum of Automatons is located in this building considered an example of modernism in Barcelona. The expansion and landscaping of the lower part of the Park continued with important improvements, including the old funicular railway, which got a complete overhaul in 1958. This decade also saw the setting up of a number of rides, including the Cable Car, the Flying Pots, the Miniature Train (a replica of Spain's first railway line: Barcelona-MatarĂł), the Electric Cars, the House of Surprises, The Haunted Castle, etc, without forgetting the opening in 1959 of two important Tibidabo rides: The Lookout Tower and The Plane.
"A Children's Paradise"
The Park of Barcelona took on a more family feel and received the nickname of "A Children's Paradise". The Park would finally get the long-awaited Roller Coaster in 1961 and a Big Wheel, Bumper Cars, Combat Saucers, the Sunflower, the Coffee Game, etc., also joined the Park. Meanwhile, indoor amusements also appeared on the scene, such as the Sillyland Express, the Palace of Light with it's crazy mirrors and the Tibicar.