On 16th June 1900 work began on creating access from Barcelona to the Amusement Park with a tram (known popularly as the Blue Tram) and a funicular railway. At the same time, at the top of the mountain, work continued with the landscaping and construction of the buildings and terraces that are nowadays an example of modernism in Barcelona. On the 29th October 1901, the Park and facilities were officially opened, and interestingly, the funicular railway turned out to be the first main attraction given its innovative nature as a method of transport at that time and becoming an important technological fact in the history of Barcelona. That same year, the first entertainment activities, e.g automatic scales, came to the Park, and postcard vending machines also appeared.
The first decade stands out as a period of small amusements such as: telescopes and binoculars, swings, the Flobert shooting gallery, bowling, mirrors, automatons, messenger pigeons, etc. There were also a large variety of events and shows: the Clav√© choirs, military bands, orchestras and balloon rides among others. New buildings were opened, including the Gran Caf√© Restaurant Tibidabo and the Coll Hotel and Restaurant and a large events hall, which they tried to turn into a casino.
This decade saw the definitive relaunch of Tibidabo as an amusement park in Barcelona. And in 1910, an electric merry-go-round was installed. And in 1913 the park hired a Senegalese tribe to show off their costumes, way of life and skills. In 1915, the aerial railway led the way for larger rides, and a year later a number of halls in the Park were set up to offer a themed exhibition about the First World War.
In 1921, to get a better look at the amazing views of Barcelona from Tibidabo, a 50-metre high metal lookout tower was built and named the Atalaya. At the same time, the capacity of the funicular railway was doubled in preparation for the 1929 International Exhibition in Barcelona. In 1924 the way up was made easier for guests at the Hotel Florida with the building of a small-gauge train that gave passengers a beautiful run around the top of the mountain. In 1925 another African tribe was hired, this time the Fulah tribe from Equatorial Africa, which was extremely popular with visitors. In 1927, a statue in remembrance of the founder Dr. Andreu was unveiled, and a year later the Plane ride was opened. By this time, the Park had become widely known, and the magazine Barcelona Rides had no qualms in calling Tibidabo the ‚Äėeighth wonder'.
The Park and the War
During this increasingly difficult time for Spain right up to the events that led to the Civil War in 1936 and the consequent Dictatorship, the Park tried to offer small new activities, such as Miniature golf and the electric cars. At the outbreak of the war, a hard time in the history of Barcelona, the Park came under collective control and some damage was caused, but luckily nothing too serious.